District energy is a term referring to systems that produce steam, hot water or chilled water with a central plant and piping system that deliver heating and cooling services to area buildings. The steam or water is piped underground to individual buildings for space heating, domestic hot water heating and air conditioning. As a result, individual buildings served by a district energy system don't need their own boilers or chillers. The benefits of district energy systems include:
- Lower cost method to heat and cool a building
- Ease of operation and maintenance
- Greater reliability
- Decreased life-cycle costs
- Decreased first cost of building capital costs and eliminate need to periodically replace boilers and chillers.
- Improved architectural design flexibility
- Comfort and convenience for customers
For more than a 115 years, district energy has passed the “test of time” with flying colors in Youngstown. It has proven to be convenient, safe and reliable. But for the next century, one in which energy efficiency and environmental concerns are more vital than ever, the outlook for district energy is even more promising. Youngstown Thermal is a proud member of the International District Energy Association (IDEA). For an in-depth look at the benefits of district energy, as well as answers to frequently asked questions, please visit the IDEA website: www.districtenergy.org.